The National Institute of Statistical Sciences (NISS), Washington, DC
Part Time; Flexible- 10-20 hrs/week; Monday through Friday between the hours of 9 am and 6 pm
NISS is a national institute focused on data science and data-based decision making. NISS delivers high-impact research in science and in public policy by leveraging the rich expertise of its staff and affiliated organizations in academia, industry and government.
NISS works on issues where information and quantitative analysis are keys to solutions and decisions. As an independent research organization, NISS assembles state-of-the-art information and develops theory and methodology. NISS also serves as a neutral, objective expert or as an advisor to evaluate policy, to review organizations, to define the technical context for complex problems in government and in industry.
Under direct supervision, the incumbent will assist the Senior Executive Assistant in supporting key NISS committees and in planning, scheduling and coordinating events. Responsibilities will include working with NISS staff in promoting NISS and increasing stakeholder engagement using media and digital tools. The ideal candidate will hold a bachelor’s degree or be eligible for graduation by June 2020. Current graduate students are also encouraged to apply. Hours per week will depend on extent of skills and on opportunities for flexible duties (below).
- Support NISS committee activities by attending committee meetings, recording official meeting minutes and providing clerical management of committee project plans.
- Provide logistical support in planning meetings, conferences, short courses and other NISS events as needed.
- Work with senior management and committees to implement marketing and promotional activities.
- General office duties and other duties as assigned.
Flexible Duties (dependent on incumbent skills)
- Develop descriptive data analyses and presentations for NISS reports
- Assist in creation of digital content
- Prepare technical and non-technical reports for publication
- Conduct background research for NISS projects
Skills & abilities
- Ability to communicate effectively orally and in writing.
- Demonstrated attention to detail.
- Ability to work independently and also to be an effective team member.
- Ability to manage multiple assignments simultaneously.
- Demonstrated familiarity with the business applications of social media platforms (Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, LinkedIn, etc.) and online marketing tools.
- Proficiency in MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook and other office automation software.
Preferred Additional Skills
- Knowledge of statistical methods for data analysis or other quantitative research methods.
- Experience in conducting literature searches and review
- Research experience and/or collaboration.
- Experience in editing and/or manuscript preparation.
Applicants must be lawfully entitled to work in the United States (U.S. citizens or nationals and non-citizens with valid work authorization). NISS does not sponsor Visas of any type. NISS is an Equal Opportunity Employer that does not discriminate on the basis of ethnicity, gender, religion, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, veterans' status or disabled veterans' status.
How to Apply
Submit a Resume, Cover Letter and Writing Sample via email to email@example.com. This position is open until filled.