The Statistical Laboratory, established by George W. Snedecor in 1934, was the first of its kind in the nation. The Department of Statistics was established in 1947 and is housed in Snedecor Hall on the Iowa State University Campus in Ames, Iowa. This is one of the largest departments of statistics in the nation (and in the world). There are about 40 faculty and 115 graduate students. During any one year, anywhere between 10 and 15 graduate students receive their Ph.D. in Statistics.