What do you think are the top ten, key and practical data analytics methods in that are in use in the business world today?
On Wednesday, July 29th Victor Lo (Fidelity Investments) provided a comprehensive overview of those topics that he feels are proving to be these essential methods. He organized his 'top ten' list into three major categories: descriptive, predictive and prescriptive analytics. In addition, he contended that the topics in this list are those that might not necessarily be covered in many statistics programs. He then provided an informed and authoritative presentation of the major features that describe the following approaches:
- Analytical Consulting, Communication and Soft Skills
- Computer Science, Programming, and Tools
- Descriptive Analytics, Exploratory Data Analysis, and Data Visualization
- Predictive Analytics and Machine Learning
- Deep Learning
- Causal Inference and Uplift Modeling
- Predictive Analytics and Optimization
- Unstructured Data Analysis
- Social Sciences and Data Science Ethics
- Domain Knowledge and Application Areas
Through various snippets and examples into the viability and practicality of these approaches during his presentation, Victor effectively paved the way for NISS to unveil a new series of tutorials that will tackle each of these approaches in turn. Three hour tutorial type sessions will delve deeper into each of these topics and provide practical and useful Information about each.
Approximately 120 attendees had plenty of questions regarding the use or the implications of one type of analysis or another. Lingzhou Xue, Assistant Director of NISS served as moderator of this event.
Keep your eye on the NISS Events website for more information on these upcoming tutorials!
Recording of the Session
Slides Used by the Speakers
Victor Lo, (Fidelity Investments)